Arisi Upma is a classic southindian tiffin.
1 Cup Cream of Rice/Rice Rawa
1 Large Onion (chopped into medium cubes)
5-6 Dried Red Chilies
2 Sprigs Curry Leafs
1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
1/2 Tsp Cumin seeds, Mustard seeds, Split Chick peas, Split Black Gram
1 Pinch Asafoetida
3 Tbsp Oil
Salt to taste.
The above mentioned ingredients serves 2 to 3 people. due to some errors while recording the video i have not shown a clip when i was dry roasting the rawa however I've mentioned on the blog. I've also used regular steel coffee tumbler to measure the rawa and used 2 glasses of rawa to prepare upma.
- Heat a wok and dry roast the rawa till light pink color remove from flame and reserve in a plate.
- In a pot boil 3 cups of water.
- Heat the same wok add 3 tbsp oil add mustard seeds to splutter.
- Add cumin black gram and chick peas fry a bit.
- Add asafoetida and onion fry till transparent add curry leafs fry.
- Add grated coconut and salt fry till light pink.
- Add the roasted rawa and fry mix all the ingredients till well combined.
- Gently pour the boiling water to the rawa and mix well place a cover and allow to cook on low flame.
- After 5 minutes the upma should be done mix again check for salt add if needed mix well and serve hot with pickle...Enjoy...:)